Wonderful downpour of Leaf –
When all the morning sun began to melt the frost they feel at one touch
In a few minutes the whole tree was flung of them
They lay masking and papering the ground at the feet –
Then the tree seems to be looking down on its cast self –
As blue sky on snow after a long fall, its losing its doing
White poplar leaves at this season, silver behind, olive back at front.
Birch leaves on a fading tree give three colours green, white and yellow.
Ordnance Survey Pathfinder 1193 (TQ 66/76)
Time roughly 7 hours
• 1144am train from Chatham to Sole Street railway station. Forecast said grey start clearing through morning followed by some hazy sun and then showers.
• Sunny from start, refreshing breeze. Footpath across railway to lane (Gold Street). Footpath opposite through orchard to Cobham church.
• Left footpath across Orange Road to lane (Round Street). Right on lane to junction. Right. Back to junction. Right along Church Road. Left byway.
• Found a place above byway west of Cozenden Wood, on field boundary
to have a snack and rest and stayed there three hours. Lovely breeze and some shade, no route made out.
• No motivation to get up and move on and leg painful so just enjoyed the rest. Left on wealdway at path junction (Nash Street).
• Right footpath through Nursted Wood, across Wrotham Road to Park
Hill. Right to Longfield Road. Right to chapel. Left along Hartley Bottom Road,
past Southdown Farm to junction.
• Left past to Leigh Court along Shipley Hills Road to Meopham Church.
Footpath from church to Sole Street railway station.
Sunny from start refreshing breeze though forecast said starting grey Then clearing later in morning, Some barley fields ripe, no harvesting yet hay being cut and baled.
|Print Page Email to a Friend